Oil pulling is an ancient Indian medicinal practice that is thought to aid in promoting good health. It is believed to be especially beneficial for your teeth and gums.
Only limited studies have been conducted about the effectiveness of oil pulling. However, the results of the studies that have been performed show that oil pulling does offer some benefits for oral health. For instance, a 2011 Indian study compared the effectiveness of oil pulling to that of a mouth rinse that contained chlorhexidine, which is an antibiotic agent that is included in some mouthwashes. The study concluded that oil pulling is as effective as chlorhexidine at controlling bad breath and the organisms associated with it.
Here are the steps that you need to try this practice:
- Select an oil. Coconut oil and sesame oil are common choices. Sesame seed oil is traditionally used in Indian medicine. However, coconut oil is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Measure out about a tablespoon of the oil. If you are using coconut oil, it may be solid at room temperature, so you may want to heat it slightly so that the oil is already a liquid when you start to swish it. If you choose to use the solid oil, your body heat will quickly melt it anyway.
- Swish the oil through around your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to pull the oil through the spaces between your teeth. In addition, if you are unable to swish for a full 15-minute period, you can spit the oil out and resume where you left off.
- Spit the oil out into a trash can. Be careful not to swallow the oil, since it is full of the plaque and bacteria from your teeth. Don't use a sink, especially for coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is a solid at temperatures below 76 F and can clog your plumbing if poured down the drain.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water to remove any remaining oily residue.
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste in your normal manner.
Oil pulling is believed to promote good oral health, but its effectiveness has not been proven. Nevertheless, there are other proven methods of caring for your teeth and gums, such as frequent brushing and flossing. Schedule an appointment with a dentist in your area like Bruggeman Dental to learn ways to keep your teeth and gums in optimal condition.Share